Diamond Review Program
The purpose of the NCSEA Diamond Review Program is to provide a recognized means of evaluating continuing education programs to ensure that the programs provide meaningful and useful information to structural engineers.
NCSEA approves continuing education programs and the providers of the programs that are relevant to structural engineering and are prepared and presented by qualified individuals. NCSEA does not recommend continuing education programs.
Benefits of Participating in the NCSEA Diamond Review Program
For Continuing Education Providers:
- Recognition by the leading national organization for practicing structural engineers
- Preferred listing on the NCSEA website, with links to the provider’s website
- Use of the NCSEA continuing education “Diamond Logo” in marketing materials
For Structural Engineers:
- Assurance that a program is relevant to structural engineering
- Up-to-date list of reviewed programs on the NCSEA website
For State Licensing Boards:
- Review by a recognized national organization for content and contact hours
- Verifiable completion certificate with complete program information and copyrighted logo
“Providers” are educational institutions, professional organizations, trade associations and product vendors who present continuing education programs.
- Providers submit an application to NCSEA for determination if a specific program is relevant to structural engineering.
- A positive determination is valid for one calendar year from the date of determination.
- A continuing education program can be presented multiple times, in multiple locations, simultaneously in several locations, and anywhere in the United States and Canada, as long as the content and title remain the same.
- The application fee for reviewing a program is based on the reviewed number of contact hours.
- The fee schedule is as follows:
- One contact hour - $300
- 1 contact hour up to and including 4 contact hours - $500
- Over 4 contact hours up to and including 8 contact hours - $1000
- Greater than 8 contact hours Contact the NCSEA office
- Member Organizations of NCSEA receive a 50% discount for programs prepared and presented by the Member Organization. Programs that are co-sponsored by a Member Organization are not eligible for this discount unless the Member Organization actively participates in preparing and presenting the program.
- Associate and Affiliate Members of NCSEA receive a 20% discount for programs longer than one contact hour that are prepared and presented by the Associate or Affiliate Member. Programs that are co-sponsored by an Associate or Affiliate Member are not eligible for this discount unless the Associate or Affiliate Member actively participates in preparing and presenting the program.
- Application fees are not refundable.
- The fee schedule is as follows:
- NCSEA will review:
- the goals and objectives of the program;
- a detailed outline of the program content;
- the presentation materials, including handouts, speaker notes, attendee notes, workbooks, and presentation slides;
- the qualifications of the individual(s) preparing the program and presenting the program; and,
- the number of hours of continuing education credit to be awarded upon completion of the program.
- To be considered relevant to structural engineering, programs must address at least one of the following items:
- Analysis or design methods and techniques typically used by structural engineers, including the use and application of computer software, excluding basic CAD courses.
- New York State, federal or national codes, standards and specifications for the design of structures. Codes, standards, regulations, specific to states other that New York would not be eligible for credit.
- Use and application of products or services commonly specified by structural engineers, or intended to be specified by structural engineers. This includes the design and use of products, and the design and use with products. Programs on proprietary products must include discussion on the background, design basis or other non-proprietary material.
- Other topics that meet all the New York State requirements for continuing education.
- Individuals who prepare programs, and speakers who present programs, must have superior and thorough knowledge of the subject material, and be able to answer all expected audience questions.
- Programs must have at least one hour (60 minutes) of educational contact, excluding meals, breaks and other social functions.
- Self-administered programs, including self-study programs, online programs, magazine and journal articles, audio and/or video recordings of new or previously-presented programs, and other similar offerings, require an examination that will be graded by the provider. The examination must include at least ten questions for each hour of continuing education credit. At least seventy percent of the questions must be answered correctly to qualify for continuing education credit. Questions may be multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, essay, or anything similar. True-false questions are discouraged. (NCSEA will identify on their certificate of completion that this is an educational activity.)
- To assess effectiveness, an evaluation form must be provided to all attendees to solicit feedback on the content, speakers and presentation.
- The review will be by a consulting structural engineer. Reviewers will not be employed by educational institutions, professional organizations, trade associations or vendors that present educational programs.
- Providers can request a second review if a program is determined not to be relevant to structural engineering.
- Providers are required to retain all documents pertaining to a program for six years after the presentation of the program. The documents shall include, but shall not be limited to, brochures and outlines, attendee handouts, visual aids, name and biography or resume of the individual(s) that prepared the program and that presented the program, a roster of attendees, and date and location of the program, and the number of contact hours of instruction. This will facilitate substantiation of program content and an individual’s attendance in the event an individual is audited for compliance with a mandatory continuing education requirement.
- Providers are required to issue a certificate of completion within 10 business days to each successful attendee. The certificate shall include:
- the title and subject of the program;
- the number of contact hours;
- the sponsor's name;
- the attendee’s name;
- the date and location of the presentation or of successful completion;
Memo to all Member Organizations:
Following is information about our new Diamond Review Program. Our hope is that the member organizations will find course approval to be a simple process. Please send your questions and comments to Jan Diepstra.
There are a few important details:
- All course materials must be submitted at the same time. Please do not send a partial packet of information.
- The checklist may be submitted by the MO delegate, executive director, continuing education chair, or association president.
- Allow 4-6 weeks for course approval.
- We will assume that the course submission has already been reviewed by your MO and meets all Diamond Review requirements.
- In order for a course to be approved for New York continuing education, the subject cannot be on:
- risk management,
- project management related to profitability, marketing and public relations,
- laws related to arbitration, mediation, liens (unless they are related to safeguarding the health, safety, and welfare of the public)
- real estate or real estate development
- expanding a design professional’s practice
- basic Auto CAD
- personal development
- general office management
- accounting/financial planning
- succession planning
- design/build (unless it includes information on the laws related to desing build and it’s limitations in New York State
|Diamond Review Approved Courses and Providers (Adobe PDF)||11/22/2011|
|Diamond Review Program Overview (Adobe PDF)||11/16/2009|
|Diamond Review Program for Member Organizations (Adobe PDF)||11/16/2009|
|Diamond Review Provider Application (Adobe PDF)||12/3/2008|